Photo Erik Kabik
By Anthony Curtis
If January is any indication, it’s gonna be a good year for The Deal.
• For starters, O’Sheas, newly opened at the Linq, is courting the value-conscious crowd. At any of its three bars (two inside and one out), draft Miller Light, Coors Light, Blue Moon and Redd’s Apple Cider are $3, and Jager and Fireball shots are $6. There’s a foosball table on the floor that’s free to play. It’s not championship quality, but is a distinct notch above the tables at the Cosmopolitan. Daily beer pong tournaments run at 3 p.m., there’s live music from 4 to 11 p.m. and then DJs till 3 nightly. The casino is also touting $5 table-games minimums, which is low for the Strip. But careful here—the blackjack rules are poor.
• After coming out of the box slowly, the Downtown Grand picks it up this month with a juicy half-off dining offer for locals. Get 50 percent off food (no alcohol) at Stewart + Ogden, the Spread, Red Mansion and the Commissary. You have to be a member of the players club, but nothing I’ve seen indicates that you need to redeem points to get this deal.
• The Grand has also been running a program where it matches a room offer from another casino. This one is unadvertised, so the details are a bit fuzzy, but if you or out-of-town friends normally get mailed room offers from other casinos, take the invitation down to the front desk of the Downtown Grand and see what they’ll give you.
• While Downtown, pop into Binion’s to take advantage of an ongoing free slot-spin promotion in which everyone seems to win $5 or $10 in free play. The machine is set up near Benny’s Bullpen, and you’re allowed to play it only once, but it’s a total free roll.
• Get 2-for-1 buffets at Aliante on Wednesdays and Silverton on Thursdays. Both deals run through the end of January and require only that you show a players card.
• This month, Silverton is also running its $20-dining-comp deal for earning 500 points ($500 coin-in) Tuesdays through Fridays, and a 500-point deal with prizes that include cash and free play on Saturdays. These are good mini-comps for quarter players.
[MARCHVEGAS] – noun 1. “March to Vegas” symbolizes the humanistic tendency to march, migrate, or advance as a deliberate or organized body in a habitual manner back to Las Vegas. 2. Marriage of March Madness and Las Vegas, especially during tournament time. 3. The “MARCHVEGAS 4-day Holiday” (March 20 – 23, 2014) – Sign the Petition.